Monday, May 7, 2012

“Songs from the Borderland” Concert
















I received an invitation from American Fulbright music scholar, Kimberly Cannady, to attend a performance by three outstanding groups from the nordic region: Via Artis from Denmark, Voces Thules from Iceland, and Mpri from the Faroe Islands. I didn’t quite know what to expect and quickly found myself in music heaven when I realized that it was all about music composed between the 10th and 15th centuries. In addition to the choirs and a wonderful soprano, Anne-Christine Wesser Ingels, the ensemble included a harp, a viol, a rabab, a citole, drums, and flute. The music ranged from Spanish music to traditional Nordic songs from the middle ages. One of the aspects that I enjoy the most in Iceland is watching American scholars interact with their Icelandic counterparts and produce amazing art.