Monday, July 15, 2013

The Reykjavik Viking Festival



















This weekend as I was walking Brenna along the Tjornin, I ran into a horde of Vikings, some clad in armor, others tending to their horses, while still others resting in front of their tents.  One of the biggest Vikings in the group, Gunnar Viking Olafsson, approached me (unarmed of course) and told me this was the first Reykjavik Viking Festival and much to my delight among them was at least one of their American descendants who is dedicated to the preservation of Viking culture.  The group staged fake charges against unsuspecting by-standers and even offered a demonstration of their horsemanship. Considering the weather of the last few days, the turn out for the event was great and it bodes well for this great initiative.